Saturday, March 18, 2006

Driving to Santa Fe

For some reason, I always manage to pick some kind of fight before a trip and last night was no exception. I felt totally justified in what I was trying to do, but I went about it in a bad way. Didn't go to bed until after 10:30 and got up at 5am. Didn't apologize until later but the husband was ok with it. I was surprised last night to hear him say he was looking forward to this trip - the change of scenery and all.

So now we're in Gallup, NM after driving for 10 hours. The dog wasn't happy for most of it - shaking and panting until the husband let her sit in his lap. They followed me the whole time and I found it funny to see her head behind the steering wheel. Sofie the driving dog!

The cats were with me and they weren't that happy, either. It would be quiet for a time, then one would start meowing and set the other 2 off. They're out of the cages now and roaming the hotel room. It sucks to have them stuck in a little box all day, but I'd be trying to dig them out from under the seat or something.

The drive from LA to Gallup was pretty uneventful. We stopped for lunch at Lake Havasu City and debated driving up to see London Bridge, but it was 21 miles each way and I didn't want to take the time. It snowed just outside of Flagstaff and we stopped to let Sofie romp in it. She seemed to enjoy it but we didn't stay long - too cold. There's a billboard in Winslow Arizona that actually says "'Stand on the corner' Winslow Arizona exit here. " I wonder how many people actually do...

We have about 200 miles to go tomorrow and we don't have to be there until noon so we can sleep in a bit. We are going to need some time to pry the kitties out of the mattress (there's not a space under the bed, but there's a hole in one of the box springs and somebody crawled up into it).

No comments: