Friday, June 01, 2007

Red Velvet

One of our prospective caterers came by today with cupcakes to bribe us - love the perks! Anyway, he brought chocolate, coconut, carrot cake, and red velvet. All of them had a huge mound of icing - triangular with sprinkles at the top.

The APOC and I were looking at them, commenting on the fact there was so much icing it made the cakes twice as tall when she says "I found out what Red Velvet is."

I'm thinking "Is there something about RV I don't know? Isn't it just cake dyed red?"

She says, in a conspiratorial tone, "It's just white cake dyed red."

I think "duh" but keep my mouth shut.

Apparently this caterer puts white cocoa powder into his to give them more of a flavor...

But really, do people not know that there's nothing special about red velvet cake other than the color? It's like A from EA trying to tell us that a Bundt cake is a specific flavor of cake, as opposed to just a shape. Whatever.

No comments: