Sunday, January 29, 2006

Nice Eyes

We're getting ready for our trip home and bought some noise-reducing headphones for the plane. Didn't realize it at the time, but they need batteries, so I had to go to Target tonight and get some. We also needed a new bag for the husband's new laptop.

So I'm wandering around the luggage aisle looking for a bag when a 15(?) year old Latino boy walks past and says "nice eyes" to me. I didn't say anything to him, just smiled and kept looking. I walked into the next aisle and he had followed me. He asked me how I was doing and I told him just fine. He then said "nice eyes" again and I said thank you. I'm not quite sure what he wanted, but when I didn't engage in any more conversation, he just kind of drifted away. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings or anything, but he really seemed too young to have his driver's license yet.

It's funny. Whenever I get a compliment from a strange man, it's usually about my eyes. The first one I remember getting was back in high school. I worked at McD's and one day in the drive-thru, a customer took the time to tell me I had beautiful eyes before driving away. That actually may have been the first compliment I ever got from a complete stranger. Anyway, I don't do anything special to my eyes. I rarely wear makeup and don't have colored contacts. Don't know why people comment about them.

The husband says foreign men tend to find me attractive. Not sure why, but probably because I have some meat on my bones. In college, I went to a dance club and a guy from Africa asked me to dance and his buddy was giving him the thumbs up when he thought I couldn't see. Then there was a waiter in London at the best Indian restaurant who gave me extra chocolates. Maybe it's not only foreign men, though. There was that guy who I met while walking Sofie who said I was just his type and proceeded to give me his address in case I wanted to cheat on my husband.

Whatever it is, I just don't see it. I don't think I'm anything special when it comes to looks. All I've got going for me is my sense of humor and self-confidence. And frankly, my sense of humor isn't most people's cup of tea.

No comments: