Saturday, October 22, 2005

What We Saw On Set

Nancy and I went to set on Thursday; me to hand out paychecks, she to hand out petty cash and per diem. It was a long drive down to Irvine and we kept asking each other if they didn't have office buildings in LA or one of the valleys (they were shooting the dad's office - he's a developer). One of the producer's assistants told us they were going for the whole "Orange County" look, kind of a wide-open desert thing. The building was nice, had a pond and a Buddha and was very clean lines. But come on, did we really have to drive all the way to Irvine for it? Anyway...

We got to base camp and dropped off some stuff for Michael F. - one of the producers (who we found by spotting his shoes walking past a trailer). When we were done with him, we went from trailer to trailer, handing out stuff as we found people - most people are actually "on set", but it's a good place to start. We even met Douglas' people (hair, makeup and wardrobe) who are just about the nicest I have ever met. You'd think the crew attached to stars would be uppity snots, but these three are fabulous.

After we finished up there, we had the producer asst w/ the "Orange County" line show us where the set was. They had just finished shooting and were moving to a different spot. I tried to point Wilson out to Nancy, but she missed him in the group of people milling about. Turns out he was done for the day so she'll have to wait for next time.

We wandered around some more, handing stuff out and chatting with various crew members - nothing makes people chattier than getting a paycheck. When we finished on set, we went back to base camp. I was giving BR some paychecks to distribute to people who I couldn't find when Dillon walked by on his way to set. I made a comment to Nancy to make sure she recognized him (she did). Then I headed off to the special fx truck. As I turned to go, I saw that Douglas was walking to set as well. He walked right between Nancy and I as I was responding to her question about whether I'd be ok to drive back - I'd hurt my neck earlier in the week and couldn't turn my head to the right anymore. I said as long as I didn't have to check my blind spot, we'd be fine. As I was saying it, I wondered if he was curious about what we were talking about. I mean, it's human nature to listen in on conversations, especially if the two conversants are on either side of you...

I have to say that when Nancy and I joined back up, we spent a good 15 minutes discussing Douglas and how he looked. She thinks he has a peanut head (broad forehead, narrow at the eyes, strong jaw). I thought if he was a woman they would be calling him a lollipop. I've never seen a man that petite with that big a head. It was weird, especially since I'd never gotten that impression about him onscreen or in pictures. But he's less than 6' tall, really thin, with a small build. I think I could have taken him, except he's older than I am and probably knows a few tricks. But it was a shock and Nancy agreed.

Actually, the strangest thing about these movie stars is how easy it is to not recognize them. They just don't look the same in person as they do on film. I don't know if tv stars are the same, haven't worked with enough of them yet.

No comments: