Saturday, October 08, 2005

Diamond Head

I got up this morning and walked over to Diamond Head. The crater itself isn't that far from the hotel, but the road up to the national monument and trailhead is on the far side. I wondered if I would be able to make it up to the top after walking all that way, but I did just fine.

It's a pretty steep climb and the two sets of stairs are killer. Plus I was surrounded by a lot of people who weren't in as good a shape as I am and they were going so slow I had to keep passing them so I wouldn't lose my momentum. Where the trail was too narrow, I had to take tiny steps to keep from catching people's heels.

The view from the top was beautiful. A 360 degree panorama of ocean, mountains, city, and sky. I'm so glad I went. The husband called while I was up there, which was perfect timing. It was nice to hear his voice and share what I could with him.

I walked back to Waikiki and checked out an art show, then went and took a shower. I just finished my laundry and plan to get some lunch. I didn't realize it was so late and I'm starving. Don't know what I'm going to do tonight - my big plans are pretty much over with Diamond Head.

I should mention that we ate at Alan Wong's last night. It's supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Hawaii and I'd have to say it was pretty damn good. I got to taste a bit of everybody else's fish and everything was good. It was nice to get out to a fancier place for a change, but it's not something I would want to do too often.

That's it - off to lunch before my head falls off.

No comments: