Sunday, January 02, 2005

London Parade

Went to the parade today and got there way too early. It started at noon, so we got there at 10am, which in the States would have meant being about 6th or 7th back from the curb. But not here. We walked almost to the beginning of the route before we saw any real crowds and most people didn't seem to show up until after 11:30am.

We sat down on the curb and waited, which wouldn't have been so bad except for the annoying children across the street with the whistles and the former cop from LA whose wife was in the parade. Actually, I think the cop was worse. He talked almost nonstop for over 2 hours to the British officer doing crowd control. Due to his running commentary, I know more about this man, his wife, his son, and the "history" of policing then I should ever have to know. I felt really bad for the husband. He only went to the parade because of me and was right next to the guy. He kept leaning down to groan in my ear whenever the guy said something particularly stupid. We left before the parade was over - it was much colder than I thought it would be, especially standing still, and it wasn't that great of a parade. I don't know why I stayed as long as I did - felt bad about leaving early after dragging the husband there and subjecting him to annoying people... After we got out of the crowd, I realized that the cop's friend had managed to separate himself from the cop... Figured that was on purpose.

Went up to Selfridges next to do a little shopping. I didn't realize it was going to be another version of Harrod's, but I wanted to go to a British department store and buy something, so we went. Found a very nice green silk top that wasn't too expensive. Looked at some other things but, come on... Not going to pay those prices just to say I got it in London!

Got some lunch, bought some roasted chestnuts (ok tasting, but mostly for the experience), tried to find a replacement cell phone charger (no luck), then came home. Managed to fall asleep for most of the evening.

Basically a good day. Worried about the husband, though. He's going through a tough time, has been for a while now. It's rough because I can't help him, but I keep trying. The problem is that I can usually accomplish what I set out to do and haven't with him yet. But I will.

Pralines & Cream bar this morning, which wasn't all that good. When we got to Piccadilly Circus and realized we were early, we got pastries and hot chocolate. I had a toffee cream donut with too much icing on it - most of it fell off after the 1st bite, so it turned out ok in the end.


No comments: