Sunday, January 09, 2005

Stonehenge

I finally made it to Stonehenge. I've wanted to go ever since I first heard of the place. Back then, I never thought I'd make it. But today I rode 2 trains and a bus and there it was.

It was kind of weird, coming up on it like we did. We came over a hill and around a slight bend and it's sitting at the left-hand side of the road like some gas station or fruit stand. I actually asked the husband if that was it - I expected it to be remote or down some winding lane. We passed it to get to the carpark and I was in that dream state where everything kind of slows down. I felt like I couldn't get over to it fast enough, but I made myself slow down, especially after I saw the bus driver feeding the birds right out of his hand. I asked him if I could try it and he gave me some crumbs, warning me that he'd been doing it for years and they may not trust me. It only took a few seconds to get one bird to land just long enough to grab-and-go, but that was it - no more birds for me. I tried a few minutes longer, than gave up and thanked him.

We crossed the road, but that turned out to be the wrong way. They have a big fence up along the road and although you can see Stonehenge, you can't really get any good pictures and you are a distance from it. We crossed back over the road and found the entrance, paid the fee, picked up our audio guides, and headed under the road this time.

The commentary was pretty good - I listened to most of it, but it was kind of distracting. I wanted to just stand there and let it sink in. Unfortunately, the husband is still sick so I made myself move along as fast as I could (not really that fast). They do have the stones roped off. You can't get too close to them, but that's ok by me. A girl I know had told me not to bother going because of that - the fact you couldn't touch them bothered her. I have to say that I can more than understand the need to NOT touch something that historic.

Then it started to rain. Actually it was freezing rain. The wind was blowing and the sleet was falling and it was getting pretty miserable. The husband had the crappy umbrella we had bought in London. The wind blew it to pieces but it lasted long enough. I picked up the pace a bit and when we got around to the side where the wind was blowing the rain into our faces, I considered trying to take more pictures but figured it wasn't worth ruining my new digital camera.

I sent the husband along and listened to some more of the audio, then gave that up and joined him. The bus was there and he wanted to get on it as it only makes the rounds once an hour. I had to go to the gift shop, though. I just didn't see how I could finally make it to Stonehenge and not get my magnet. He wasn't happy, but we went in and I got my magnet and looked around a bit. I realized the husband had gone out so I paid for my stuff and went out. To my surprise, the bus was still there so we hustled up the ramp and climbed on at the last minute.

I didn't realize it until later that he was mad at me. I had gotten the impression that when I went into the gift shop that that was it - we had missed the bus. But it was more like I had 3 minutes and should hurry. Besides, we caught the bus so at first I didn't see the big deal. He finally explained that he wanted the consideration of me knowing that he was tired and sick and cold and that I would forgo the shop to get him on the bus. I saw his point and I felt bad about being so selfish. But I tried to make him see my point, too. About the finally being there and getting the "proof." Anyway, I already felt crappy about dragging him out there. I'd been feeling stressed about it before we even left and had been short with him. I told him I shouldn't have made him come, but he didn't think I would have gone alone. I said I would have, but maybe not. I'm not really sure what I would have done. I'd like to think I would have gone by myself...

The weather made it pretty clear that it was time to head back. I had wanted to climb Salisbury Cathedral, but St. Paul's will have to suffice. Besides, it took over 3 hours to make it back to the apartment. At least we made up by then.

Something to add to my disappointments - fish with bones it it. I can't stand fish with bones it in. Thankfully, the only time I ordered fish and chips it was bone free.

I'm not sure what breakfast was today. We got it from the bakery across from the tube. It looked like an eclair, but the woman said it was a bun. And it was - just like they had taken a dinner roll and put chocolate and cream on it. Weird. Yesterday's bar was better.

No comments: