Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Outside London

Today didn't start off too well, but the husband has commented that I should not really go into too much detail.

We went back to the bookstore today, but the online inventory lied and he didn't have the book. Not real happy about that. Don't understand why people have online inventories if they aren't accurate.

Walked over to Kensington Palace and sat in the park for a bit, then headed out to Barking to check on a Doctor Who store. I liked Barking - it seemed like a real place, not a tourist destination. And it was much nicer than East Ham. The tube agent who sold us the tickets said we should head left out of the station to find the store, which was wrong, but it did take us to a nice little used book/comic book shop that we wouldn't have found otherwise. The husband bought some comics and we were amused by the old man rifling through the dirty magazines who was on a first name basis with the clerk.

We wandered the other direction, through another street market (it's no wonder things in stores are so expensive when it seems you could find anything you needed in a street market for cheap). Found the store in a mall. I left the husband looking at the stuff and went off on my own. Found a book store selling their Christmas cards for 75% off, so I bought 3 packs. I like the ones that say "Happy Christmas" - very British.

Got back on the train and hit the Who store in East Ham again. It was open this time and was a nice place. Seemed to be a bit of a social gathering spot. Ended up buying some Tardis bookends that I really liked. The area was not that nice, though. I wouldn't go there after dark.

Tried to go ice skating at Somerset House, but I wigged out for some reason and the tickets sold out while the husband was trying to get me to go back. We ended up booking a ticket for Thursday morning. I don't really know what that was all about, I just know I didn't want to go even though I'd been planning to since I found out about it.

Went up to Covent Garden, had dinner, bought some Doc Marten boots, caught the train home. The day ended much better than it started, that I can say for certain.

Breakfast was a Belgian Bun from the bakery across from the tube station. I didn't know what it was when I picked it, it just looked interesting. Ended up being a roll with raisins and some icing - not that interesting after all...


No comments: