Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Day in Oxford

Finally got out of London today - went to Oxford on the train. It's an interesting town. The main street is full of modern shops and fast food restaurants, but they're all housed in these old buildings. And tucked down side streets are the colleges. It seems otherworldly in a way, like the buildings will always be there and the contents are the only things that'll change. There was a church, I think, and I peered into the window as we passed and saw a little cafe, just like what we had at the University of Tennessee. Almost a small student union... Most of the colleges were closed, but I did duck into the vestibule of a couple and looked at the quad. I can't imagine going to school here and not feeling privileged and entitled. It just fascinates me that people live their lives in a place like that, surrounded by so much history. Still a bit touristy, but with that kind of history it's to be expected. Every church or building that could had a little exhibit or tower to climb - we climbed Carfax, which was fun with all its spiraling steps.

As for the train ride, it only took an hour, so I didn't know what to expect by way of countryside, but it didn't look that much different from east Tennessee or southern Indiana. Rolling hills and green fields, rivers and forests, very peaceful to see it flash by the window. The houses were different, but the landscape wasn't. It was comforting, in a way.

It seems as if everybody in Oxford (who isn't a tourist) rides a bicycle. We saw so many stored in special areas and the rail station had a whole yard full of racks with over 100 bikes chained up. I think that would be nice, to be able to get around town on a bike.

We went to Leicester Square when we got back to see if there were any shows we wanted to see, but not tonight. Had dinner at a Pizza Hut to change up from pub food then came home. I seem to be catching a bit of something - got a tickle in the throat. I'm tired, too. I thought I slept ok last night, but I had bad dreams and the husband said he heard me whimpering. I actually fell asleep today on the train trip back. At least my back didn't hurt when I got up this morning. Maybe I'll start recounting my dreams - if I start blogging in the morning.

The only other thing I can think to mention is an artist named Edward Monkton. A bookstore in Oxford had a selection of his cards and I found them brilliant. I bought a couple and will have to look for him online.

Bakers Oven for breakfast again - a donut with butterscotch curls on it. I do love butterscotch. But maybe I need to lay off the pastries for a bit... My belt still fits like it did, but I'm getting cravings and moody and all the bad stuff I get when I don't eat the best. We'll see.

No comments: