Monday, May 15, 2006

Shut Down

Well, Fox pulled the plug on us today. There are a lot of possible reasons why, but it's probably a combination of stuff. We're 5 weeks out and things just couldn't come together on the budget - I was told the director wouldn't budge in his "vision", the art department came in 1.5 million higher after being asked to cut 3 million, there's so much shooting here in Santa Fe we couldn't find enough locals to work who knew what they were doing and we had to bring in people from LA (which meant housing and per diem), and I heard that Ben and Jim were asking for too much money - something like 25 mil each plus back-end points...

So they shut us down and people are scattering like rats from a sinking ship. The art department had cleared their desks before leaving for a 3 hour lunch (where they all got tipsy). Everybody was bitching and moaning about being unemployed and getting stuck with leases, especially the transpo office (and I heard it each and every time someone called and/or came by).

I still had payroll to do so even though I was stunned when I got the news, I was too busy to really think about it. Fedex was late with my LA timecards and it took me all day to get done - I was still faxing stuff out when everybody left for a local bar for the "wake". I was bitter about it, because I felt like the only one who still had to work as hard as ever, but I got toasted for my dedication at the wake and that made me feel better.

We weren't sure if we'd be wrapping here or back in LA, but the accountant wants to stay and it finally came down that we'd be here until June 9th. I guess it's time to start Job Hunt #2. Not that I'm worried - payroll is always in demand.

No comments: