Sunday, June 11, 2006

Santa Fe Train

When I got to the train station, they told me they were sold out. If I had known then what I knew now, I would have left immediately. Instead, I stopped to look at the postcards and was still there when someone new came in and said they had a few seats left.

Riding a train like that is really more of a social event. Since we were on the "hotshot" we only went to the Galisteo Basin overlook instead of all the way to Lamy. Turns out we went right thru town then down thru El Dorado, which is where AJ lives. I'd already seen that scenery.

I sat behind a woman who had 2 little girls with her (3 & 4) - her granddaughters or nieces or something. She kept telling the one to stop touching her mouth because of some germ she had in it. Then the conductor warned us that there was a potential for the windows to come down unexpectedly if we hit a rough patch - this nearly caused hysterics as the woman yelled at the younger one that she was going to get her hands and/or head chopped off if she didn't stay away from the window. At that point I got up and went to stand on the flat car (with railings). That was nice - until I realized I was going to have one helluva sun burn. I tried going back in, but the woman was by then yelling at one of the girls to move out of the sun coming in the window and when she didn't move fast enough, grabbed her and bodily moved her about 8 inches to the left. I went back out... I did spend the return trip inside the car, but on the opposite end and practically asleep - I know I dozed off for at least 20 minutes. Might have had something to do with the Corona.

So all-in-all, the train ride was a bit of a bust. Afterwards, I got some dinner on the plaza and wandered the shops, then went home and took a little nap. Now it's time for bed.

Tomorrow is Bandelier and more cleaning.

No comments: