Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Poor Sofie

I took Sofie to the dog park yesterday (it was the 3rd time in as many days) and not 2 minutes after we got there she was being mauled by a schnauzer.

We entered the gates and walked over to the picnic table, passing a man with a dog between his feet sitting in a lawn chair. The guy was talking to the dog and I had the thought the dog must be new and scared. Well, I sat down and opened my book and heard this aggressive snarling. I looked around and then down to my feet and saw the schnauzer go at some dog's neck. It took me a second to realize it was Sofie! By then the guy had gotten to his dog and pulled it off and I picked Sof up and put her on the table, running my hand over her throat to make sure there wasn't any blood. It hadn't broken the skin but Sofie was terrified and covered in slobber.

I had the urge to pick her up and take her out but then realized if I did it might make her scared of coming back. So we sat for a minute and then walked down to the other end of the park. The man had put his dog back on the leash but they didn't leave either. It took about 45 minutes for Sofie to relax enough to play but she always knew exactly where that dog was and never strayed too far from me. At one point the dog was within 10 feet and Sofie wanted me to pick her up but I didn't - it was so hard not to coddle her. She did get extra attention from the other dog owners who asked if she was ok and scratched her bum.

After about 15 minutes of almost regular play we went home. The schnauzer was still there, still barking, growling, and jumping at every dog that got too close. I almost felt bad for it - it obviously needs the socialization.

1 comment:

blusurfer said...

Awww...poor doggie! You made good dog mom decisions, though.

Did I mention that Coco was TERRIFIED of the Peke Pack over the holidays? Even the little 7 pound one.