Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Show Your Work

I've been doing payroll for more than 10 years. I've gotten to the point I can look at a basic, prep week time card and know that I have to pay for 55 hours. If necessary, I will break down the times a bit further and then tally the hours on the calculator and only indicate the total money due. It saves time.

Today, for the first time, an accountant came into my office and told me that I needed to show my work  otherwise the studio auditors will think I just copied the numbers from the edit. I can't imagine the look that must have been on my face - I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If an auditor ever suggested I copied the edit instead of doing the work myself I think I would walk out.

I'm not going to change my ways. When we are shooting and more writing is necessary I will write more. As for now, I'm 40 years old and I'm not in school. I don't have to show you how I reached my conclusion. Ass.

No comments: