Saturday, November 29, 2008

Red Stripes

Ok, some car company (I think) has an ad going where these guys drive out to the easternmost point in the US on December 31st in order to be the first to watch the New Year arrive. They do not indicate where that point is, only that they go every year...

If you've been reading this blog, you know I have been to that point, and it's near Lubec Maine - West Quoddy Lighthouse to be precise. It's an easy Google search to suss this fact out. As a matter of fact, there's a picture on the internet of the West Quoddy Lighthouse in all its easternmost glory. I take great pride in the fact I've been there and I think the people who have made the trek probably feel the same.

So what bugs me, to the point I don't recall what product the commercial is trying to sell me, is that the West Quoddy Lighthouse has vivid red and white horizontal stripes and the one in the commercial DOES NOT! How hard would it have been for these people to look up on the internet and say "well, the real one is striped, maybe we ought to do some post production work and give ours stripes, too?" I mean, really... it's just sad and lazy for them to not do some homework.

The husband thinks I'm a loon for caring, since Jack Bauer drives across LA county in 20 minutes on 24 when the reality is more like 2+ hours and other shows/movies make changes that only locals would know about. But these people are touting the fact that their product can get to a specific point on Dec 31st for an important, emotionally charged moment, then they don't even get the most basic details right. I just can't trust someone who can't look up a lighthouse in Wiki. How do I even know they knew there's a lighthouse there? For all I know they just used one because it looked pretty or some such bullshit.

It makes me crazy.

3 comments:

blusurfer said...

Things like that bug me too.

As an aside, going to the easternmost point in the US reminds me of putting our butts in four states at once. Although I have the feeling that the Maine coast is probably much prettier. :-)

film-chick said...

Yes, I would have to say the coast is much prettier than the desert slab of concrete surrounded by vendor tents :)

Zoooma said...

Interestingly, the Easternmost Point in the United States isn't near Lubec, Maine... it's located on Semisopochnoi Island!