Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Star Sighting

While driving to set for lunch today, we saw Ben Stiller in his car. Nancy thought he looked a bit on the smaller side. I don't find that odd in the slightest - I think most actors are shorter than they seem on the big screen. He was driving an older convertable Mercedes, black.

My dad is coming out to visit for a couple of days at the beginning of January. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a bit nervous. My dad is a great guy, but growing up I was afraid of him. He was one of those "wait 'til your father gets home" kind of dads. He once told one of my brothers, if not all them at some point, that if they made my mother cry, that'd be it for them. And he spanked. Not without merit, but he spanked.

We never seemed to have much in common, me being a girl and all. He never really participated in my band/orchestra concerts or Girl Scout activities. The only time I think I really impressed him was when I had received a scholarship thru the theater program at the university and at the reception, the construction guys told him how good they thought I was. They told my dad I was the only student to get a regular credit in the program for the current play because of my good work. I think that made him stop a moment and realize I wasn't a girly-girl. How could I be? Growing up at the tail end of 6 boys is bound to have an effect.

So he's coming to visit and I want to show him around town - he's never been to LA. There's the walk of fame, the observatory, Mulholland Drive, the tar pits, etc. But I wonder if I'm trying to plan so much so I don't have to worry about what we'll talk about...

I guess we'll see what happens. I do know I'm going to take him to set on the final Thursday and show him around. I don't know yet if I'll take him in while they're shooting, as he's practically deaf and may not realize he needs to be silent at times. I hate getting busted for that kind of stuff. It doesn't happen often and it's not usually my fault (anymore), but it's embarrasing to have them yell at you in front of the entire crew. But I will show him around Universal - hopefully I'll be able to borrow a golf cart instead of having to take my car or the tram.

No comments: