Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Trip To TN (Days 3 & 4)

Day 3 (Thursday 12/21):
After once again getting up at 4am, we drove all day and finally made it home. It was raining and about 55 degrees (warmer than SoCal). We checked into the hotel and walked the dog, then made the first of several trips to the best used book store in the country, McKay's. We saved up all the books that didn't sell at the Shrine and took them home with us - 8 boxes worth. They are kind of finicky about how many you can bring in for trade at once, so we had to split it up into 4 trips. Anyway, when we finished there, I called my family to let them know we'd made it in and that we'd be over soon. When we got there, we found out that my brother K was sick, that my brother B was sick, and that my sister was sick. Apparently there was some stomach virus going around. Lovely. Anyway, we introduced Sofie to my mom, who isn't a dog person and Sofie could tell. She would just sit there and stare at her, which slowly advanced over the course of the evening to growling. Not aggresive growling, just that "I-know-you-don't-like-me-what's-wrong-with-you" kind of thing. It didn't help that my mom's got macular degeneration and her right eye was all bloody from a leak. Must have freaked Sofie out. We chatted with my family and then my dad and I went and picked up some dinner. We were exhausted and went back to the hotel soon after.

Day 4 (Friday 12/22):
We finally got to sleep in a bit - didn't get up until 7am! We had some errands to run and had an appointment at the bank to finish up some stuff with the MIL's estate. On the drive over, I called my mom's office and found out she didn't go in to work. Yes, she had gotten sick, too. Anyway... while waiting at the bank, we got to talking about dogs and the woman we were meeting with said we could bring Sofie in with us (she was out in the car and wasn't happy about it at all, but we figured it was better than leaving her in the hotel). That was all it took for me to go out and get her and man, was she happy. She was actually pretty well-behaved, too. That took about an hour and then we had to stop by our own bank, then McKay's, then we went over to the house. My sister was feeling better and we talked with her for a bit. She told us about a dog park nearby and we decided to take Sofie there - she really needed to run. It was a nice looking place, but it was only off-leash for certain hours in the evenings and that wasn't going to work for us. I'm not sure why anyone would need a dog park that wasn't off-leash all the time. Isn't that just a walk? Anyway, the husband had found another dog park online and we drove over to it. It wasn't as nice as the commercial place, but it was off-leash. It was set in the woods in a bigger city park and there wasn't any grass. Thankfully, someone had put straw down otherwise it would have been a mud pit. there were some other dogs there, mostly bigger, but Sofie got her run on and that's all that matters. I don't remember too much else from that day - it wasn't that exciting. Maybe the husband will remind me of something I've forgotten.

No comments: