Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Anniversary and Stuff

Yesterday was our 8th anniversary. We decided to wait until the weekend to celebrate and go to Dave & Buster's out in Arcadia (that's "our" restaurant - the Wednesday before we got married, the husband took me to dinner at the one in Atlanta, which was only 1 interstate stop from where we lived). I love the place - the food's ok but I really like the arcade, especially skeeball and the coin drop games. We went to the one in Honolulu last year and I'm glad there's one in Arcadia now because otherwise we'd have to drive out to Ontario or down to Irvine.

So I got the husband a 250 GB Iomage external hard drive and he got me a diamond bracelet. I think I won that round but he's happy.

A strange direction to go now, but I was reading today on Fark some of the responses to Ms. magazine printing the names of the women who had abortions. I can understand women not being ashamed of it but I can't understand wanting to put yourself out there for fundies to have at you. I don't know anyone who's had an abortion, I don't know anyone who wishes they'd had an abortion, I have no first-hand knowledge of it. I just think I would keep it between myself and the father - it seems to personal. Whether or not you believe life begins at conception or at some point in the 2nd or 3rd trimester, getting pregnant opens a door into all sorts of potential futures. I can't imagine finding out I was preggers and not wondering if it was a boy or girl, what it would be when it grew up, picking out names, etc. I am adamntly pro-choice, but I don't think I'd be able to have an abortion myself. I do want it to remain an option for those women who need it, though. Recreation, not procreation.

No comments: