Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Writer's Strike

The husband is a member of the Writer's Guild and has been called to duty this week - he's picketing outside a studio during the afternoon shift. Therefore I feel I have the right to say something about what's going on...

Although my job hasn't been affected and probably won't be, there's no guarantee I'll be able to get work when it's wrapped. Come January, if the strike is still on, I may be out of luck. There are some people who are out of luck now and more who will get laid-off in the coming weeks and months. Despite all that, I think the writer's are doing the right thing.

I read a comment on a news site - the author compared selling s script to selling a painting. Basically, if they create a painting and sell it for $1000 that's all there is and they shouldn't expect any more. Fine, but what would happen if the buyer of that painting took that image and made postcards and magnets and coffee cups and mouse pads and umbrellas and t-shirts and tote bags and prints and anything else you can think of - and walked away with $1 million dollars? Would the painter still feel ok about it or would they want a piece of that pie?

The studios make money from the advertisers but the ads don't run by themselves. They are embedded into scripted content that someone created. That someone deserves a percentage of that profit. It's not like most of the people are millionaires. Yes, they make good money but they don't work 52 weeks a year and they aren't guaranteed to work from one year to the next.

Anyway, not many people read this blog and the ones who do already know what I think about the strike. I'mnot trying to change any minds, just clearing my own.

No comments: