Monday, September 15, 2008

Goin' Home

The husband, Sofie, and I left Boston Friday morning. I was a bit sad to be leaving, but excited to get back home to my regular life.

Our first stop was in Cooperstown, NY at the Baseball Hall of Fame. We enjoyed the museum and the town seemed very quaint and homey but we didn't stay long.

We went on to Niagara Falls and spent Friday night there. We went out to the American Falls that evening and then Saturday morning I got up and took the Maid of the Mist boat tour. Very cool and very wet, even with the free commemorative poncho. After we got the car packed, we drove over to Goat Island and saw the Canadian Falls. Have to say the falls are amazing but the town is run down. Must be hard living there.

The rest of the day Saturday was spent driving, ending up in Indiana. I drove the husband past my childhood home, which looked a lot smaller than I remember. I suppose that's normal. We moved away when I was 9 so the only stuff that looked familiar was the neighborhood, the strip mall where the grocery store used to be, and the high school my older siblings attended.

Sunday we got up and drove to Spring Green, Wisconsin. That was on our to-see list because of Taliesin and House on the Rock. We managed to tour Taliesin on Sunday and it was beautiful. I want to say my favorite part of the house was the courtyard - just the way the house surrounded the hill and the landscaping... I also really liked the Romeo and Juliet windmill.

The House on the Rock was Monday. It's an amazing place and I think the Infinity Room was my favorite there - I would love to go back during the winter and watch the snow fall. Some of the exhibits are dimly lit and I got a bit claustrophobic but in the end it was totally cool. My only real complaint is you can't really get a sense of the original house because the tour path is so strict. I wish we'd been able to wander at will because it seemed you could get to anywhere from anywhere.

After the House, we went over to the Cave of the Mounds. It's a limestone cave they found in 1939 after blasting in a quarry. It wasn't the greatest cave I've ever visited, but I enjoyed the tour and got a nice geode at the gift shop. Not as cool as the one they cracked open before mine, but nice nonetheless.

Then we drove around and saw the area and talked about moving to southwest Wisconsin. Not that we're going to but we both like it and it's been added to the list of possibilities.

Tomorrow we're going to hit the Field of Dreams movie site and then off to Mount Rushmore.

No comments: